This is one of those blogposts you can not write well enough. On the one hand it’s about something positive, on the other hand it kind of sounds negative.
To cut all the crap others would write, here are some basic facts and reasons for why we were very quiet for the last few months.
Fact #1: We’ve run out of money.
Kind of funny how that might be the number one reason for every startup to come to a stop and nobody ever speaks about it. However, it’s pretty common and we just experienced it. We tried several ways of getting a new investment but at the end the numbers weren’t good enough to convince people to put their trust in our vision.
Fact #2: We’ve run out of time.
No money? Why aren’t you guys building QUOTE.fm in your spare time, you might ask. That’s what we’ve thought at first, but after several meetings and heavy thinking about what QUOTE.fm is, we came to the conclusion that it’s just to big to build it in a way we would like to see it. Our standards are a bit too high for all the work we would have to do to even maintain the quality QUOTE.fm has at the moment. Just maintaining isn’t enough, we would like it to flourish.
Fact #3: Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
So, what does that mean for you? You, the people who build this thing with us? Without you this whole adventure wouldn’t even have started.
QUOTE.fm isn’t going away. I know the first part of this post very much sounded like it, but we have good news. We found the right people to maintain QUOTE.fm: elbdudler. A young and ambitious agency from Hamburg, Germany.
That means: Philipp, Marcel, Flo and I are saying our good-byes and sometime in the (quite near) future elbdudler will take over and hopefully build this thing here into something that you guys will appreciate.
We think this is the best solution for all those affected. You, us and elbdudler. Marcel, Philipp Flo and I are going on new adventures and we’re sure we’ll see you around.
We had a great time. Thanks for everything. You’re the best. <3
See you soon,
Marcel, Martin, Philipp and Florian
QUOTE.fm for iPhone just hit the AppStore. Now you’re able to read, save and quote articles from your iPhone.
Here’s what it can do:
- Your Reading List. See what you’ve saved for later reading and read it when you’ve got the time.
- Add new articles to your Reading List.
- Social Reading: See who else read and quoted the article you’re reading and comment on their quotes.
- Quote the article you’re reading and recommend it to your friends.
Go grab it in the AppStore. It’s free and you won’t find a more social reading experience out there.
You might have noticed that you’re not able to find new articles shared on QUOTE.fm at the moment. We’ll publish another blogpost in the next couple of days that will shed some light on this decision. Let’s just say: Everything you might miss will come in the biggest update QUOTE.fm has seen so far. Soon™.
QUOTE.fm for iPad and iPhone in an AppStore near you.
Hey everyone, we just released the second update of the QUOTE.fm iPad app.
Here is a list of all the changes in 1.0.2:
- New sign up process, including option to connect with Facebook
- Added: „Open in Safari“ button for the in-app browser
- Fixed: The reading view now saves your set line height reliably
- Fixed: Saving an article for reading later now works in the search results
- Fixed: Resetting the icon badge
- Fixed: Tapping the iOS top bar now scrolls the view to top in Discover
- Lots of other small fixes
Make sure to update your app to have the best possible QUOTE.fm experience.
Have a nice weekend reading on your couch while outside the temperature is dropping heavily.
QUOTE.fm for iPad on the App Store
Reeder for Mac now supports recommending and saving for later reading on QUOTE.fm. It’s the best RSS reader out there, so there is no excuse not to use it. Go download Reeder for Mac. (By the way: Reeder for iPhone also supports QUOTE.fm.)
Reeder is the first app available that’s allowed to use our API with write access. That will change very soon. Hint hint.
QUOTE.fm for iPad 1.0.1 – our first small update – just hit the App Store. Here is a list of all changes:
- Added: Sharing menu in browser.
- Added: Resize animation when activating Social Reading.
- Added: Delete comment functionality.
- Added: Facebook sharing settings.
- Added: Prevent deactivation of the display in reading mode.
- Added: Success messages for sharing actions in reading view.
- Fixed: Improved downloading of images in Read.
- Fixed: Better behaviour of enabling/disabling buttons in browser.
- Fixed: No wrong articles will be saved to Read anymore.
- Fixed: Issue with download of some articles in Read.
- Fixed: The URL bar in browser now clears itself after using it. Like toilets from Japan.
- Fixed: From now on, the notification alert only alerts you one time.
- Fixed: Issue with loading recommendations in Social Reading.
- Fixed: The content area did sometimes not show any content, that shouldn’t happen again.
- Fixed: Crash when logging out while refreshing read later articles.
So go get the update and have fun. <3
QUOTE.fm for iPad on the App Store